Satisfied engaged employees create happy satisfied customers. I believe today’s organizations need to do the little things to honor the relationship. I call the symbol for this a Green Goldfish. Why green?
Here are three important reasons:
1. NOLA – Green is one of the three colors of Mardi Gras (purple, green, and gold). New Orleans is the birthplace of lagniappe, the overarching concept for “giving little unexpected extras” for employees.
2. Beyond Dollars: Studies show financial compensation is not a strong long-term motivator for employees. Money can be more of a hindrance than a help.
3. Growing: Green is a symbol of growth. When you are green, you are growing. When you are ripe, you begin to rot.
Why should you make the investment? Three reasons:
1. Differentiation. Doing little extras provide a tangible way to stand out. The little extra gives the company a “remark”able difference or set of differences.
2. Retention. If you keep employees happy, they tend to stick around longer.
3. Word of mouth. By creating a culture that attracts talent, you can become a desired place to work. The result is that you’ll get more “A” players.
What little things are you doing to reinforce culture and honor the relationship with your employees?